Start Updating army records

Updating army records

Soldiers preparing to submit a packet to an upcoming promotion board should be sure to review and verify their Enlisted Records Brief.

“Taking the time to verify that they are being properly represented, and given credit for all they do is equally important.

A discharge upgrade changes the “character of service” shown on your DD-214 discharge certificate.

This document contains instructions outlining the board references, suspense dates, packet requirements, and what dates will be used to calculate time in grade and time in service.

The service member should review this MOI and compare it to their promotion packet to insure all documents are present and up to date prior to submission.

(A lawyer would say that you must “exhaust your other remedies.”) This means that if you are requesting something that a DRB can do – a discharge upgrade, a change in the reason for your discharge, or both – you must first apply to a DRB, unless the deadline for applying to the DRB has passed.

If you are requesting anything else, you can bypass the DRB and apply directly to a BCMR or BCNR.

DRB deadline: You have 15 years from the date of your discharge to apply to a DRB.